What a lovely tradition. Sitting around the table with the family, eating wholesome and healthy food, laughing and sharing stories from the week, or just great banter across the table.
This weeks Sunday roast featured slow cooked roast beef (and I mean slow), baby potatoes with chives and maple roasted carrots. The baby ‘taters and the carrots recipe came from a book I just bought called “Paleo the Real Food Diet to Reset Your Life”. So far, everything we have tried from this book has been great!
So here’s what we cooked and how:
- Slow Cooked Roast Beef
- 1.5 kg Roast Beef
- 4 cups chicken broth (mine is homemade)
- 2 Onions – sliced thin and in rings
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Put all of the above in your slow cooker and cook on low heat for at least 12 hours.
2. Baby Potatoes with Chives
- Bag of baby potatoes cut into chunky bits
- 1/4 cup melted grass-fed butter
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- Aluminum foil
- 30g fresh chives chopped up
- Heat the oven to 200C.
- Put the ‘taters, butter and garlic into a baking dish and mix well to ensure everything is coated well. Cover with the foil and put in the oven to bake for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, take the foil off, put the chives on the ‘taters and bake for another 15 minutes.
3. Maple Roasted Carrots
- 3 large carrots cut into thin strips
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tbsp grass-fed butter
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- Heat the over to 200C
- Put all of the ingredients above into a baking dish and mix well. Cover with a lid and bake for 45 minutes until the carrots are tender.
- You may need to stir half way through to prevent burning.
To be totally honest, the cave man and I loved all of it, the cave babies had mixed reviews (and they’re not carrot people either). So give it and try and let me know what you think!
The great part, is that everything above is gluten free, dairy free and soy free. Plus it’s easy to make!